In fulfilling its purpose, SIDS holds the following values:
- We are committed to being a research-led Institution, valuing knowledge and learning for their own sake as well as for the social and economical benefits they offer;
- We are committed to the communication of knowledge and learning, through an environment in which leading academic staff teach and engage in dissemination of knowledge to a broader community;
- We seek to recruit and develop staff and students of the highest quality, recognizing that people are our primary resource;
- We respect the academic freedom of all staff and students that they might confidently engage in leading-edge and innovative knowledge creation and debate;
- We are committed to promoting diversity and equality of opportunity for all staff and students;
- We will ensure that our activities are carried out ethically and to the highest standards.